Official contact points

There are many contact points in Bamberg dealing with different concerns you may have. You will find out here, to which particular authority you can go.

Contents on this page

Reception Facility

The Anker Facility is the first contact point for asylum seekers in Oberfranken. Here you will find all important autjorities at one place:

  • the Government of Oberfranken(Regierung) inculding the central Foreigners’ Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde ZAB): responsible for residence permit, employment permit, assignment of accommodation/residence
  • the State Office for Asylum and Repatriation (Landesamt für Asyl und Rückführungen): Counseling for people who want to return to their country of origin voluntarily
  • the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge BAMF): responsible for conducting asylum procedures and recognizing/rejecting asylum seekers
  • the social welfare office (Sozialamt) of the city of Bamberg (branch office): responsible for cash benefits
  • the health office (Gesundheitsamt) : responsible for medical service, examinations, etc.
  • the administrative court (Verwaltungsgericht – legal application office): accepts applications for court proceedings in asylum cases or appeals against asylum decisions
  • the Employment Agency (Agentur für Arbeit/ Jobcenter) : responsible for cash benefits after asylum recognition
  • and the police (Polizei).

Central Immigration Office (ZAB)

A foreigners authority (Ausländerbehörde) is responsible for your right of residence (i.e. residence title during the asylum procedure and also afterwards).

This can be the Central Foreigners Authority ( Zentrale Ausländerbehörde ZAB) of the government of Upper Franconia, but it can also be the Foreigners Authority of the city of Bamberg or the Foreigners Authority of the district. It depends on where you live.

The foreigners Authority is also responsible for employment permits and training permits, i.e. if you want to work or do training.

Immigration Office - Ausländerwesen

On their homepage, you will find the applications for work permit, residence permit, permanent residence permit, extension of the residence permit, naturalization, and issuing of travel document.


The Coordinating Office of Asylum (Koordinierungsstelle Asyl) deals with the accomodation for the applicants for asylum. Accomodation means: where can I live?

The government of Oberfranken is responsible for the allocation of the accomodations. It also handels applications for moving out of the accommodation:

The Migrants Advisory Board

The city of Bambergs Migrant Advisory Board stands up for the intrest of all people with migration background. It considers itself to be a mediator between foreign residents and the City administration.